Company history

The history of clay processing is located in the area where SICERAM has over 2000 years. Just a kilometer from our office was found an oven for burned artisanal vessels of soil, dating back in the year 300, the oven will be exposed in the near future at SICERAM.

About industrial processing of big clay deposits in the area we can speak only from the beginning of the 20th century, when on the current location of SICERAM begins the production of two bricks and tiles factories, first in 1907, owner Hans Letz, and the second in 1912, owner William Low, the owner of the mechanical cotton mills – Sighisoara.

Initially, the production was seasonal, the bricks and tiles were dried in the open air.

During 1915-1918, the factory was closed due to the war and also due to the lack of markets for the products, and reopened in 1919.

Between 1926-1934 the factory was stoped several times, in 1932 was its financial collapse, due to bank loans, which could not be returned on time. The financial crisis in the years 1931-1933 also had an impact, because the construction materials weren’t bought anymore and the banks weren’t lending money.

In 1928, feeling the need of glazed tiles, the company built a small oven for burning such tiles, which operated until 1942, also producing on market demand glazed clay pots.

On July 4, 1935, the brick factory owner, Hans Letz, due to the lack of finance, signs a lease contract of the factory to the “HERCULES” Târnaveni company, for a 17 years period.

On March 31, 1945, the tile factory was also leased to “Hercules” Târnaveni, which is taking over the majority of shares from William Low.

Therefore, the “Hercules” company, taking the factory control from Hans Letz in 1935 and the majority of the W. Low shares in 1945, has established a branch in Sighisoara as “HERCULES Tarnaveni SA, Sighisoara Branch.”

On June 11, 1948, both factories became state-owned factories, under the title: The first brick and tiles factory “7 Noiembrie”, Sighisoara, being then registered to the Ministry of Finance. From the date of transition to state ownership of production, lands, buildings and industrial facilities, the established factory began to modernize and develop gradually, increasing its production capacity from one stage to another.

On June 11, 1948, both factories became state-owned factories, under the title: The first brick and tiles factory “7 Noiembrie”, Sighisoara, being then registered to the Ministry of Finance. From the date of transition to state ownership of production, lands, buildings and industrial facilities, the established factory began to modernize and develop gradually, increasing its production capacity from one stage to another.

The present structure of the company dates back in 1972, when were finished the construction and commissioning of heating system, the mechanical – energy shop, the administration, the commissionig of the production line of the tails, the replacing of the Hoffman oven tunnel, the increasing capacity of Keller product drying rooms. The real revival of the factory took place after privatization, in 1995.

In addition to investments in upgrading existing capacities and extending the range of products, in 2005 was put into service one of the most modern bricks factory, in this part of Europe (for that period), the factory being built with the collaboration of renowned world companies. This technology helped the successful market launch of a new masonry system, the SICERAM group’s own brand, the TERMOBLOC ® system.

In late 2006 began thw work on upgrading and refurbishment of ceramic roof production line. After nearly two years (May 2008) and after an investment of 16 million Euro, Siceram resumed production of ceramic tiles. In addition to technology, which was completely new, SICERAM changed the clay for tiles production. The clay used for this is provided from Bodoc (near Sfantu Gheorghe), and in addition to prolonged frost-defrost resistance, is remarkable also due to its aesthetics, the natural red-brick color, hence the brand of the roofing – TERRA ROSA ®.

In addition to these two product ranges, SICERAM also produces hand bricks for interior plating and flooring, and also mechanical-made bricks for exterior flooring and pating.

Regarding the results obtained by S.C. SICERAM SA, they have made possible the position of the company in recent years, first in its field, according to the National Top of Private Companies in Romania, issued by the National Council for Small and Medium Enterprises in Romania.